Broadband providers can use the DC-CAN open access network to bring Internet to residents and businesses across the District. DC-Net's middle mile services offered at cost-effective pricing and special discounts for providers serving Wards 5, 7 and 8 reward providers for extending affordable Internet where it is needed most in the District.
Key network features include:
- 50+ mile, 100 gigabits per second fiber backbone throughout the city.
- Extensive underground backbone fiber in underserved Wards 5, 7 and 8.
- 14 Points-of-Presence (including 3 Service POPs for Internet service interconnection) strategically located across all wards. See the list of MegaPOPs.
- Up to 80 handhole and/or manhole meet-me locations.
- Ability to interconnect at many DC-Net sites.
- Internet services up to 1 Gbps.
- Ethernet at speeds ranging from 10 Mbps to 10 Gbps.
- Wave services from 1 Gbps to 40 Gbps and scalable to 100 Gbps. Handoffs can be Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gig Ethernet, OC-X, FICON, Fibre Channel.
- Hosting and colocation at CoreSite in Reston, VA, Equinix in Ashburn, VA and Terremark in Culpeper, VA.
- Professional services
If your organization is a duly recognized business or non-profit able to conduct business in the District of Columbia and has a valid Federal Tax Identification (EIN) number, you can qualify as a last mile provider.
We encourage all video, voice and data broadband providers (wired and wireless) to partner. We also encourage property managers and firms that provide broadband to tenants in office complexes and apartment/condominium buildings to participate.
To begin partnering, send us an introductory e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Then complete our last mile provider requirements form. This helps us understand the types of service you are considering providing to end users and receiving from DC-Net. We will schedule a follow-up meeting to answer your questions and explore partnership opportunities.