The DC Community Access Network (DC-CAN) is bringing affordable, value-added broadband services to over 250 health, educational, public safety and other community anchor institutions with a focus on broadband underserved areas of the District. As a middle mile network DC-CAN does not bring direct service to residents and businesses. However, interested last mile service providers can partner with the District government to bring affordable broadband to residents and businesses in the city.
501c3 non-profit Community Anchor Institutions that offer health or education services in the District are eligible for DC-CAN service.
- Request Services
- Community Anchor Presentation
- Community Anchor Service Contract
- Service Level Agreement
- Log in (User ID and password required)
DC-CAN service will be available within three months after contract signing and receipt of funds.
Last Mile Service Providers
The open access DC-CAN network provides middle mile services for ISPs and other last mile providers, including wavelength and Ethernet data transport at speeds up to 40 Gbps, Internet at speeds up to 1 Gbps, and colocation at our Reston data center location and on-net shelters and meet-me points. For more information about partnering with DC-CAN, select here.
- Request for Information
- Last Mile Provider and Carrier Symposium Presentation
- Points of Interconnection
- Open Access Network Policy
- Last Mile Provider Requirements Form—Complete and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested in partnering? Send us an email.
Buildout of the DC-CAN core open access network is complete.
- 3/29/12 - Ward 5 Community Anchor Town Hall
- 6/9/11 - Broadband Opportunities in Ward 7 with DC-CAN
- 5/31/11 - Anacostia Coordinating Council Annual Meeting
- 4/21/11 - Ward 8 Town Hall Meeting at Councilmember Marion Barry's office
- 12/9/10 - Last Mile Provider and Carrier Symposium
Press and Media
For more on DC-CAN, please see our Media page.
- 3/27/13 - DC-CAN Selected as Computerworld Honors Laureate
- 8/30/12 - Building a Better Infrastructure (page 15)
- 12/12/11 - DC: We'll see your 1 Gig, raise you 100 Gig - December 2012
- 12/7/11 - District Becomes America's First 100-Gigabit City
- 3/29/11 - District Breaks Ground for DC-CAN in Ward 8.
- View current and past invoices online
- Report a problem or check the status of a known issue
- Request more information about products and services
As a federally funded project under the ARRA, DC-CAN status is reported quarterly: